Reference #: H0000123
Location: Ikeja, Lagos
Contract Type: Permanent
Job Functions: Management
Industries: Financial Services
- To identify and execute strategies that optimize the bank’s credit portfolios from a reward versus risk perspective while balancing capital constraints and market sensitivity to levels of non-performing debt.
- To ensure efficient implementation and effective compliance with Group and external policies, procedures and limits relating to credit risk, including for provisioning, write-offs and arrears management up to 90 days.
- To ensure that the bank’s risk position in relation to credit risk is appropriate to the business and Group at all times in the context of prevailing global and local market conditions as well as the outlook.
- To ensure that clients loan request are properly reviewed for completeness and viability in order to determine whether or not credit should granted.
- To take responsibility for the institution’s credit risk within the Bank’s Risk Committee
- To develop the credit strategy in line with the Group Strategy and reinforce the independence of credit risk function from those whose primary role is to maximise short term revenues and profits
- Formalisation of all credit approval, monitoring, collections and arrears management activities for the bank
- Preparation of bank specific credit policies in coordination with Chief Risk Officer, Head of Consumer Solutions and Head of Financial Inclusion.
- Develop the reporting items and implement group standards on credit risk activities
- Visit each branch at least once a year and prepare a formal report on activities and recommendations for improvements or movements to best practice
- Assist in the development and performance management of all staff in the credit risk department as well as all decision taking staff in the field, including arranging training, coaching and mentorship of staff
Education and/or Experience Required:
- A Degree in Finance or similar
- Experience in credit management gained in Microfinance environment
- Possession of clear thought and expression, both verbal and written, together with the ability to mix and converse freely with all levels of management.
- The Job Holder should be professionally qualified and/or hold a tertiary qualification relevant to the job and will have had a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the credit and/or related fields.
- The Job Holder should be able to identify and assist with strategies to maximise benefit from opportunities that arise to give some input to upside benefits to the business.