Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer (DTM), the successful candidate will be responsible for all Information Management (IM) aspects of all IOM emergency response programming implementation in Nigeria with main implementation and improvement of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM).
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of the Displacement Tracking Matrix programme (DTM) components including the Baseline Area/Location Assessment, Site Assessment, and Biometric Registration for Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
- As instructed, establish and supervise design of database system upgrade, web portals and interoperability procedures for exchange of DTM data and dissemination to interested parties.
- Identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support relevant methodological, operational and technological solutions relating to the DTM implementation. Review and approve the technical specification of all related technology and service provision to meet the programme needs and standards. Including the organization of key information collection activities that includes sample surveys and other ad hoc survey and profiling activities.
- Ensure information management tools and operational frameworks for data collection are properly designed and implemented. Review the information products including statistical reports, maps and other products.
- Develop and implement proper backup / restore, data validation and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability.
- Supervise the IM team staff and implementing partners including preparation of adequate Terms of Reference (ToRs) and contractual arrangements.
- Prepare and organize training for local implementing partners IM staff.
- Secure consistently available computer services, support training and maintenance of all computer systems used for information database systems.
- Ensure the provision of timely, accurate and adequate information to all relevant stakeholders regarding needs, movements and new displacements. Compile and distribute to key stakeholders daily, weekly and monthly updates as required.
- Ensure the integration of protection and gender perspectives (vulnerable groups) within the programme activities.
- Support in reporting and analyzing data for donors and stakeholders, assuring data consistency, giving statistical information and mapping of collected data. Support IOM partners such as governmental services in data management and reporting with training and technical support.
- Actively participate in relevant inter-agency meetings (UN, I/NGOs, other partners), including cluster/sector, working groups and regional meetings and follow up on resulting action points and recommendations; share meetings minutes with IOM Nigeria team and other relevant units/colleagues.
- Represent IOM at meetings and events where IM program components are being discussed.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Social Science, Information Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Knowledge on disaster risk management is required;
- Experience and abilities using two or more of Relational Database Management Systems such as MS Access, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle are a definite advantage;
- Experience and abilities using Geographical Information Systems such as Geodatabases, ArcGIS software, and other operational mapping tools;
- Experience in the development and implementation of population database systems (e.g. migrant registration, censuses, household surveys);
- Experience in management and coordination of humanitarian assessments, Information Management, especially Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM); Experience working in international organizations, humanitarian community and familiarity with the humanitarian reform and cluster approach;
- Experience in project management and implementation;
- Experience in training data collectors working in camps and host communities;
- Experience in writing technical requirements documents, translating/planning specifications to technical briefs for data capture/analysis and compiling diverse datasets;
- Experience in the development and implementation of population database a distinct advantage;
- Working experience in the region is an asset.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- 1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Required Competencies Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible. Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies - Behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies - Behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at: https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.